VANDALISM? CORRUPTION? HAVE NO WHERE ELSE TO TURN? NO STORY TO BIG OR SMALL THE OSN WILL INVESTIGATE! Please email news tips to Hildelysiak@gmail.com
New Information” including “videos” and “pictures” has bumped back the change of plea hearing for the Patagonia man charged with attempted murder.
Charles Van Nest’s attorney Michael Storie told the judge that his client needed more time to go over the new information, which is believed to be related to the health of the victim.
“Well judge we got the plea sometime last week… and there’s been discussions there;s a little more disclosure coming in so we would like to set it up once again for a change of date,” Storie told the Judge.
The prosecution had no objections, telling the court “That is correct. There was additional discovery that the defense council had requested that we were getting together to provide which we had including updated medical records and video that showed the injuries and pictures.”
Van Nest showed no emotion and said nothing as he was escorted into courtroom handcuffed by guards, wearing a red and white striped body suit.
Van Nest allegedly stabbed a woman in the neck with an ice pic, originally plead not guilty to several charges against him on December 9th. Sources tell the OSN that a change of plea hearing usually happens when the defendant and the prosecution have reached an agreement or wants to plead no contest or guilty to the court.
Judge Denneene Peterson, who presided over hearing, rescheduled the hearing for April 10th at 1:30 pm at Santa Cruz Superior Court.
“No comment,” Storie told the OSN after the hearing. “I can’t talk to you.”
Van Nest’s mother was in attendance, told the OSN she had “nothing to say.”
Van Nest is charged with Attempted First Degree Murder, Aggravated Assault/Serious Physical Injury, and Aggravated Assault/Deadly Weapon, according to the documents.
Van Nest allegedly used the ice pick on October 4, stabbing his girlfriend multiple times in the neck before fleeing the scene. The victim’s daughter heroically called 9-1-1, saving her mother’s life.
The Orange Street News has received the name of the victim, but is withholding from publishing.
Irregular in the case have raised questions over potential conflicts.
The Patagonia Marshal office refused to release the name of the suspect or Van Nest’s picture to the public, leaving Van Nest roaming around the community for five days — with the community in fear –– before he was finally apprehended at an abandoned trailer.
It would be forty eight hours after the alleged crime before a picture of the suspect would be given to media — and it came not from the Patagonia Marshal’s office — but from the Santa Cruz Sheriff’s office, who wasn’t even lead on the case. During the first two days the Marshal’s office refused to identify the suspect — despite a witness of the crime — or release a picture to the community, giving the suspect a valuable head-start.
It wasn’t Van Nest’s first run in with the law. The OSN exclusively reported that Van Nest was charged with “Kidnapping” and “Attempted Second Degree Murder,” and more after a May 10, 1998 incident where police say Van Nest kidnapped his girl friend and held her at gun point. He served only a one year sentence for the crime.
Van Nest was ordered to remain in custody of the sheriff.
The hearing has been scheduled for April 10th at 1:30 pm at Santa Cruz Superior Court.